Hummus and chocolate are two of my favourite things. Now, who says you can’t have both at the same time? Not me, that’s for sure. Not already won over by the idea of sweet hummus? Well, read on…
Reasons this needs to be made:
- It is utterly delicious.
- It satisfies your sweet chocolate tooth craving without the inevitable sugar rush and low that follows eating conventional sugary chocolate bars.
- It is packed full of good-for-you ingredients: raw cacao bringing a healthful dose of magnesium, potassium and protein fibres while the brand I use also boasts articulatory benefits.
- Did I mention, it tastes like chocolate?
- The creamy tahini adds a dose of gorgeous fats while adding to the smooth texture, and hummus just wouldn’t be hummus without this sesame seed paste. That said, I can imagine this would be amazing with peanut butter instead… definitely on my list next time.
- It is full of fibre and protein thanks to the chickpeas. So, not only are you ‘indulging’ in a sweet treat, you are brining so much more to your body.
- This Chocolate and Tahini Hummus is great brought to your next picnic, potluck party or to eat in your pyjamas as it is utterly dip-able. Anything and everything can be dipped in this chocolate-y spread: apples, strawberries, banana, crackers, bread sticks, carrot sticks (trust me on this one), pitta… you name it. You can dip it.
- Plus, if you’ve seen my recent guest post of Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, you can totally have a bowl of this sprinkled with some nuts and call it pudding. In fact, that’s exactly what I did.
Have I persuaded you yet? Chocolate and Tahini Hummus coming at you…
Chocolate and Tahini Hummus
Makes one pot
1 tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 banana, ripe
2 tbsp Super-Cacao, I use Aduna
2 tbsp tahini
1 tbsp water
¼ tsp salt
2 tbsp maple syrup, optional – adjust to your preferred sweetness
Place all the ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy, scraping down the sides as necessary. Taste and adjust the sweetness to your liking.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 days.
Have you made my Chocolate and Tahini Hummus? I would love to hear your thoughts on sweet hummus and see your creations. Please leave a comment below and tag me on Instagram so I can see your beautiful chocolate pots – I’m @nourishing.amy and use the hashtag #nourishingamy.