Two things that go together perfectly: Christmas and chocolate. Oh, and coconut and chocolate. And salt and chocolate. I decided to combine all these delicious things together in one simple but delicious chocolate treat. Now, these aren’t your uber-indulgent and sickly-sweet truffles but they are chocolatey-rich, jammy and gooey and absolutely delicious. Oh, and by the way, they happen to be very healthy!
A healthy holiday option, these raw and vegan Salted Chocolate Coconut Truffles are made with simple ingredients and topped with dark chocolate for a little festive decadence. They make gorgeous gifts or enjoy them by yourself any time of the year.
They are very easy to make, roll and decorate and you don’t need to worry about getting too messy in the process. Unlike my Chocolate Hazelnut Truffles which may see your hands get a little covered in chocolate. While being simple to put together, they are also such a show-stopper after-dinner treat thanks to the little melted chocolate and pomegranate arils – which I like to think of as either Rudolph’s nose or Reindeer Antlers. What do you think they look like?
Serve them on top of a crisp and thickly textured coconut base for a slightly different take on a chocolate truffle while adding more health-boosting fats to these snack balls. I love to make a batch using these chocolate and plain coconut bites from Ape Snacks, although you could serve them without and they’d still be delicious. Similarly, if you don’t have the salted chocolate curls (then I advise you to go and try some!!) you can use ordinary coconut flakes and add a pinch more salt. I’m so thrilled to say you can also see the recipe over on their website – go coconuts this Christmas!
My family were surprised by just how melt-in-your-mouth these Salted Chocolate Coconut Truffles are thanks to the creamy almond butter – they’re a far cry from the dense energy balls on the market that pose as truffles. We enjoyed them as afternoon pick me up treats, while I gave some to my friend who had them as a little on-the-go breakfast. Serve them whenever you like to whomever you like – they’ll bring a smile to anyone’s face.
Let’s get rolling this holiday time!
Salted Chocolate Coconut Truffles
These raw and vegan chocolate coconut truffles are a deliciously rich while being good for you! A perfect holiday gift or a snack all year round.
- 100g dates, soaked in boiling water for 10 minutes
- 1 heaped tbsp almond butter
- 20g salted chocolate curls*
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 16 coconut and chocolate coconut bites (about 1 ½ packs of 26g)**
- 25g chocolate, melted
- 32 pomegranate arils
- Drain the soaked dates and pulse in a food processor until jammy.
- Add in the almond butter, salted chocolate curls, salt and raw cacao powder and whizz until a uniform dough is formed.
- Lay out your coconut bites on a flat surface or tray.
- Roll the dough into small balls (about 1 tsp per ball) and press onto the bites. Repeat until you have 16 truffle bites.
- Place a small dollop of chocolate on top of each truffle and top with 2 pomegranate arils. Do this for the rest of the truffles. Allow the chocolate to set before storing in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
*or use flaked coconut
**you can skip this step and just make the truffles without the base
If you do make these Salted Chocolate Coconut Truffles I cannot wait to see your creations – so please do tag me, I’m @nourishing.amy on Instagram and use the hashtag #nourishingamy. Also leave your thoughts below on your favourite healthy holiday snacks! You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest – do say hi!
With festive love x