I have something special for you today. It’s one of those meals that pleases everyone and is perfect for Veganuary. It’s a recognisable dish that we all know and love, just with a plant-based twist – making a comforting swap for the traditional non-vegan dish. I hate for vegan food to seem ‘too difficult’ with ‘weird and wonderful’ ingredients as this definitely puts people off from trying vegan food, let alone cook it themselves. That’s also the reason why I’ve kept the title for this dish simple: Spaghetti and No-Meat Ballz. It does exactly what it says on the tin. I was tempted to make this recipe sound more interesting and tempting with “rich tomato sauce” or “vegetable-rich spaghetti” but I thought I’d leave these descriptions up to you.
This Spaghetti and No-Meat Ballz is comforting, filling, hearty, vegetable-packed, wholesome, healthy and easy-peasy. Plus it’s a crowd-pleaser. It relies on my No-Meat Ballz recipe for the meatless balls and the sauce is a simple tomato and vegetable affair that boosts the nutritional value of the dish while really celebrating good Italian flavours.
Fry off some onion and garlic with red pepper and mushrooms to form the base for the tomato sauce. Add a splash of tamari soy sauce for a deep umami flavour and some mixed herbs for the Italian falvours and that’s it! Let it simmer for 5 minutes, stir in your cooked No-Meat Ballz and serve with your favourite pasta.
This really is a recipe for all the family, and I wanted to make this as fuss-free as possible to encourage anyone and everyone to try out a veganised classic dinner. This sauce is also great without the No-Meat Ballz as a simple pasta sauce or add in a tin of drained beans (I love black or cannellini beans) and serve with a jacket potato. This really is a versatile recipe and I hope it will become a favourite of yours.
p.s. I love mine with a good sprinkle of nutritional yeast (or other vegan cheese!).
Spaghetti and No-Meat Ballz
A vegan version of a classic favourite with all the comfort, flavour and deliciousness of the original – a rich vegetable packed tomato sauce with No-Meat Ballz and spaghetti.
- 1 x No-Meat Ballz
- 3 portions spaghetti or other shaped pasta
- Olive oil
- 1 large onion, small dice
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red pepper, small dice
- 160g mushrooms, small dice
- 1 tbsp mixed herbs
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 100-200ml water
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tbsp tamari soy sauce
- Black pepper
- To serve: basil leaves, nutritional yeast
- Prepare the No-Meat Ballz and start the sauce when they go into the oven.
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large saucepan and fry off the onion and red pepper for about 10 minutes until softened. Add in the mushrooms and mixed herbs and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Put the water onto boil and cook the pasta according to packet instructions, usually about 10 minutes. Drain and reserve some of the cooking water.
- Meanwhile, add in the chopped tomatoes, water, tomato puree, tamari soy sauce and black pepper. Stir well and allow to simmer while the pasta cooks.
- Add the drained pasta and meatballs to the saucepan and stir well, adding a splash of cooking water if needed to loosen the sauce.
- Divide between 3 plates and serve with torn basil leaves and nutritional yeast, if desired.
Let me know what you think of my Spaghetti and No-Meat Ballz by leaving a comment below and tag me in your creations – I’d love to see them. I’m @nourishing.amy on Instagram and use the hashtag #nourishingamy. You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest – do say hi!
With ballz of love x