While creating this recipe I had many images in mind, and the prominent one was for a ‘meatball sub’ – a fluffy white submarine roll filled with juicy meatballs and tomato sauce. Now, I’ve never actually had a meatball sub, but I know they’re quite renowned for being delicious. So, what would be more fun and more of a challenge than trying to re-create such a classic in a healthier, plant-based way.
After the success of my No-Meat Ballz and Spaghetti with No-Meat Ballz, I wanted to show another recipe in which these vegan balls could shine. Sure, they’d be great in a pasta bake or with veggie fried rice or a creamy sauce, but I wanted to stray away from pasta. That’s where the sub comes in.
As part of my Veganuary collection of posts, I really want to show how easy plant-based eating can be, so this recipe is simple, with only a few steps and ingredients but really delivers on taste and comfort. It won’t leave you craving the meaty alternative as I’ve really swapped each component like for like.
– switch the usual meat balls to my healthier, delicious and filling No-Meat Ballz made form black beans and rice with some wonderful herbs.
– use a homemade tomato sauce that comes together in 5 minutes and is made from store cupboard essentials. Rich with tomatoes and a depth of flavour from the tamari soy sauce, this is very versatile and you can use in other dishes, too.
– swap the hefty white submarine rolls for Easy Flatbreads (or you can go and buy some submarine rolls if you’d rather. Equally tortilla wraps would work wonders here, too) which are easy and quick – plus they do not require any yeast.
That’s pretty much it, although I add some shredded lettuce, sliced peppers and creamy avocado slices to add a cooling touch to the meal. These No-Meat Ballz Flatbreads are great to serve a crowd, simply plate up all the components on the table and allow everyone to help themselves. They’re great to eat with your hands, just be prepared to get a little messy! Add in a handful of grated vegan cheese to add extra delight to the flatbreads and even some hot sauce is a welcome addition.
No-Meat Ballz Flatbreads
A healthy, vegan take on a ‘meatball sub’ this meatless version is delicious, flavoursome and saucy. Packed with a rich tomato sauce, crunchy vegetables and fluffy flatbreads, these make a great lunch or dinner option.
- 1 x batch No-Meat Ballz
- 1 x batch Fluffy Flatbreads
- Tomato Sauce:
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes (400g)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp tamari soy sauce
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp garlic granules
- Black pepper
- To serve:
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 pepper, sliced
- ¼ iceberg lettuce, shredded
- Make the No-Meat Ballz accordingly and begin making the Flatbreads when they go into the oven.
- Once the flatbreads have cooked, leave to one side, covered with a damp cloth to stay warm.
- Warm all the ingredients together for the sauce over a gentle heat for about 5 minutes.
- To assemble, top each flatbread with a little of the sauce, some lettuce, avocado and a couple of No-Meat Ballz and extra sauce. Top with any cheese or hot sauce, if desired. enjoy straight away. The flatbreads are best eaten on the same day but the No-Meat Ballz will keep in the fridge for a few days, as will the tomato sauce in an airtight container in the fridge.
I am looking forward to seeing your No-Meat Ballz Flatbreads creations, so please tag me – I’m @nourishing.amy on Instagram and use the hashtag #nourishingamy. You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest – do say hi!
With ballz of love x