Brownies are always a good idea and these rich, double chocolate and gluten free brownies will please everyone. They are also nut free, meaning they are a safe bet to make to bring to a potluck, to share with friends and to gift family members. I don’t often bake without nuts, as my love for nut butter is too strong, but my aim for Veganuary 2019 is to open the world’s eyes to how welcoming and universal veganism is. It’s not elitist, difficult or restrictive. You can eat your double chocolate brownies and save the planet at the same time, now how good does that sound?
I challenged myself to make these nut free, gluten free and vegan (of course) which I found a little overwhelming while I did a bit of research – I am loving Pinterest at the moment and finding it highly inspiring! Many recipes either called for weird and hard-to-find ingredients or the usual vegan butter and white sugar, but I wanted to find a middle ground. I am also aware that January is often the time for promises of renewed health, fad diets and cutting out of bad foods. While I don’t support these ideas, I do believe in the hopes for better health while nourishing your mind, body and soul. These brownies are pretty nourishing, if I don’t say so myself.
Rather than confusing myself with a completely new way of baking, I decided to stick to what I do best – banana bread. If you haven’t yet made a load, I highly recommend checking out my recipe for the Ultimate Banana Bread.
So what makes these Double Chocolate Banana Bread Brownies with Dark Chocolate Tahini Ganache really good?
I add cacao powder for a deep richness and chocolate flavour while also studding the batter with chocolate chunks for a delight in every mouthful. The bananas add natural sweetness while helping to bind the mix along with the chia seeds. I’ve used hempseed oil from Good Hemp as the neutral oil here, but you can use regular sunflower, olive or melted coconut oil too. To make these morsels of goodness gluten free I have had success with buckwheat flour but my go-to is spelt flour and I’ve also used plain flour, too.
What makes these Double Chocolate Banana Bread Brownies truly something special and dessert worthy is the Dark Chocolate Tahini Ganache! Simply stir together tahini (sesame seed paste), raw cacao powder, a little maple syrup and plant milk until smooth and creamy. I advise to make extra as it is highly addictive and is delicious spread on anything from toast to crumpets, spooned into yoghurt bowls or devoured from a jar.
These brownies are rich, indulgent, dessert-worthy, crowd-pleasing and simple to make. They don’t taste ‘healthy’ and will not leave your guests missing the dairy. Let me know if you bake them or perhaps my Date and Oat Coconut Brownies or Chocolate Almond Salted Caramel Thumbprint Cookies.
Double Chocolate Banana Bread Brownies with Dark Chocolate Tahini Ganache
Rich and fluffy vegan gluten and nut free brownies with a dark chocolate ganache – a fusion between banana bread and a classic brownie.
- 3 large ripe bananas
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp hempseed oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/3 cup (80ml) hemp milk
- ¼ cup (35g) coconut sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 cup (170g) buckwheat or spelt flour
- ½ cup (50g) raw cacao powder
- ½ cup (50g) chocolate chunks
- Dark Chocolate Tahini Ganache
- 4 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 2 tbsp hemp milk
- Line a 8×8” baking tray with parchment paper and preheat the oven to Fan 160/180*C.
- Mash the bananas in a large bowl and add the vanilla, chia seeds, hempseed oil, maple syrup and hemp milk. Stir to combine and leave for 10 minutes.
- To the bowl, add the coconut sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, flour and cacao powder and stir until there are no clumps of flour. Fold through the chocolate chunks.
- Pour into the lined tin, levelling off the top and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until firm to the touch and an inserted tooth pick comes out clean.
- Allow the brownies to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before removing onto a wire rack and to cool fully before icing.
- To make the dark chocolate tahini ganache, stir together all the ingredients until smooth and creamy. Spread on top of the brownies when cold and cut into 16 squares.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
I’d love to see your Double Chocolate Banana Bread Brownies with Dark Chocolate Tahini Ganache so please tag me in your creations – I’m @nourishing.amy on Instagram and use the hashtag #nourishingamy.
You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest – do say hi!
With (vegan, nut free and gluten free) brownie love x