This recipe proves that vegan food can please anyone and everyone. The fact you can make a cheese scone using no animal products at all is pretty impressive seeing as cheese is usually laden with dairy and scones are made from copious amounts of butter. They are also ridiculously simple, only require 7 ingredients and less than 30 minutes of your time from start to finish.
But here is living proof that you can please everyone no matter their lifestyle choices. I initially developed this recipe after I came back from a vegan pizza event with bags of various styles of cheese and wanting to show them off – in a more exciting way that just cheese on toast. This also coincided with preparing for Allergy Awareness Week, which begins on April 29th 2019, meaning I wanted to make something that’s a real crowd pleaser!
These Vegan Cheese and Sun-Dried Tomato Scones are vegan (obviously), therefore dairy-free and lactose-free while also being nut-free, sesame-free and are easily gluten-free if you swap out the plain flour for your favourite gluten-free flour blend, although I haven’t yet tried this for myself.
The second most important thing about this recipe is the TASTE and wow do they taste delicious. They are cheesy without being overpowering thanks to the grated cheddar style cheese in the scone dough and sprinkled on top which melts beautifully. To increase the savouriness of these scones, I’ve added chopped sun-dried tomatoes for a real taste of the mediterranean. A pinch of salt and that’s all you need flavour-wise. I can imagine adding in some chilli flakes and black pepper next time for a spicier take on these Vegan Cheese and Sun-Dried Tomato Scones.
The texture is also pretty impressive if I say, so myself. They are crispy on the outside with a golden cheese top and fluffy and light on the inside – nothing heavy or dense about these delights. Enjoy them warm from the oven spread with dairy-free butter or margarine or leave them to cool and top with chutney. The possibilities are endless for these savoury scones – serve them as part of an afternoon tea spread or as a savoury quick on the go breakfast or snack. Top with extra cheese, marmite, avocado or hummus for a really inventive ways to indulge yourself in the healthiest way.
I hope you’ll love these Vegan Cheese and Sun-Dried Tomato Scones, they are light and fluffy, rich in Mediterranean flavours, cheesy, golden, happily vegan, healthy and allergy-friendly and take less than 30 minutes start to finish!
Vegan Cheese and Sun-Dried Tomato Scones
Light and fluffy vegan savoury scones with grated cheddar cheese and sun-dried tomatoes. They are easily gluten-free and make a delicious addition to afternoon tea.
- 340g flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 50g vegan margarine
- 180ml unsweetened plant-based milk
- 50g grated vegan cheese, plus extra for the top
- 100g sun-dried tomatoes, chopped small
1. Grease a baking tray and preheat the oven to 190Fan/210*C.
2. Add the flour to a large mixing bowl and stir in the salt and baking powder.
3. Add the margarine, cut it into the flour mix and then use your fingers to rub them together to form a fine crumble.
4. Make a well in the centre and pour in the milk, grated cheese and chopped sun-dried tomatoes. Stir with a wooden spoon to form a dough then tip onto a floured surface and knead for 1-2 minutes.
5. Roll or press down to a rectangle that’s about 2-cm thick and use a cutter to make 10 scones, re-rolling the dough as needed.
6. Place onto the greased tray and brush with a little milk, sprinkle with some cheese and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown and firm to touch.
7. Allow to cool on a baking tray and serve warm or cold with vegan butter, chutney and jam.
I look forward to hearing your thoughts on these Vegan Cheese and Sun-Dried Tomato Scones so please leave your comments below and tag me in your creations – I’m @nourishing.amy on Instagram and use the hashtag #nourishingamy. I’m also on Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest – please say hello!
With cheesy scone love x