Thick and chewy chocolate date cookies filled with sweet berry jam and a creamy chocolate drizzle. These cookies make a delicious teatime treat and are gluten free, naturally vegan and healthy!
I love experimenting with new baking ideas and one grey afternoon, I knew I wanted to bake something, but I wasn’t quite sure just what. So, I turned to my “to bake” list and saw thumbprint cookies were on there. After the success of my Salted Almond Caramel Thumbprint Cookies I knew I was in for a treat (as were my eager-awaiting family).
The base for these Chocolate Jam Thumbprint Cookies is very different to my previous thumbprint cookies and the result is a much chewier, heartier cookie rather than the crisp variety. The blend of jammy dates, syrup and coconut oil lends a naturally sweet and sticky texture to the dough while the cacao powder makes for a rich and chocolate-y bake. I love using ground hazelnuts as opposed to almonds in my baking and it means these cookies have a delightful “Nutella” style flavour that really tastes indulgent. I’ve also added some vanilla protein powder as I love the taste – although you can skip this and use all flour instead.
Now, what to use for the filling? I’d recently received some gorgeous jams from Cherry Tree Bakery and one of the flavours is Strawberry, Rhubarb and Vanilla – I was sold! I thickened the jam with some chia seeds (I love these ones from Natures Heart Superfoods) which also add a health boost to any jam you use. The sweet jam and rich cacao cookie make a real black forest gateau style cookie. Simply drizzle the baked and filled cookies with some melted chocolate.
These Chocolate Jam Thumbprint Cookies make a delicious and simple cookie that is drizzled to impress. Filled with sweet chia berry jam, the cacao rich cookie really lends itself to a cup of coffee or tea. They are thick and chewy, gluten-free and naturally vegan, packed with good-for-you ingredients and only take 1 bowl and 30 minutes to make, cool and decorate.
Chocolate Jam Thumbprint Cookies
Deliciously simple, thick and chewy chocolate cookies filled with sweet chia berry jam and drizzled with creamy chocolate. They are vegan, packed with good-for-you ingredients and only take 1 bowl and 30 minutes to make, cool and decorate.
- 150g dates
- 80g ground hazelnuts (or almonds)
- 30g vanilla protein (1/4 cup)
- 45g spelt or GF flour blend (1/4 cup)
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 2 tbsp syrup
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 60g jam
- 5g chia seeds
- 30g chocolate, melted
1. Soak the dates in boiling water for 10 minutes, drain and reserve the liquid.
2. Preheat the oven to Fan 160/180*C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. If using whole hazelnuts, blitz them in a food processor until a fine meal forms then transfer to a bowl.
4. Add the dates to the food processor with the coconut oil and blend until jammy sticky. Add in all the other cookie ingredients to the food processor and blend until a thick dough forms, adding 1 tbsp of date water at a time until the dough is sticky (I used 3-4 tbsp, you may need more or less depending on the protein powder or absence of protein powder).
5. Mould the dough into small balls and place onto the baking sheet. Press your thumb into the centre of each cookie to form an indent.
6. Bake for 12 minutes until starting to firm and crisp up. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
7. Stir the chia seeds into the jam and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
8. Place a teaspoon of jam in each thumbprint and then drizzle with the melted chocolate.
I hope you’ll love these Chocolate Jam Thumbprint Cookies, I look forward to hearing your thoughts so please leave your comments below. If you make them, tag me in your bakes – I’m @nourishing.amy on Instagram and use the hashtag #nourishingamy. I’m also on Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest – please say hello!
With thumbprints of love x