A rich, creamy and vegetable-packed curry to make you glow from the inside out. This vegan, gluten-free and deliciously healthy curry is packed with warming spices and flavours and comes together in 25 minutes.
Who doesn’t love a good curry? They are so warming, comforting and so flexible. You can add any number of herbs, spices, vegetables and protein sources to them and not have to worry too much. The magic is in the pan as the spices and flavours release their aromas and become fragrant and tasty. I have played around with many curries in the past without noting down a recipe but this time around I was determined to be exact!
As the weather is cooling here in the UK, all my body craves is nourishing and wholesome warming dishes and this Golden Chickpea and Aubergine Peanut Curry is ideal. It is golden from the delicate blend of turmeric, smoked paprika, coconut milk and tomatoes for that umami depth of flavour. Not to mention the thick and nutty peanut butter that is slowly stirred into the sauce to make it a flavour and texture sensation.
I am so excited to be cooking this recipe live at OM Yoga show at Alexandra Palace this weekend (19th October 2019) – to show just how easy, delicious and vibrant plant-based food can be. If you are around, I would love your support!
Back to the curry, I have used my favourite curry-friendly vegetable here which is aubergine. I love the tenderness of the flesh and how it absorbs all the flavour. That said, you could also use courgette, peppers, cauliflower or squash as the flavour is all in the sauce and spices. I add chickpeas for protein, texture contrast and I just love them in curries. Stir through some spinach leaves and that’s all there is to it.
I hope you will love this Golden Chickpea and Aubergine Peanut Curry, it is nourishing, warming and wholesome with an array of flavours, textures and colours. It is mild and creamy yet fruity and vibrant with a lovely nutty flavour. It comes together in 25 minutes while you cook some rice and serve with extra nuts, fresh herbs and yoghurt. I also love this with some Easy Fluffy Flatbreads.
If you are looking for more warming dishes, how about my Sundried Tomato and Olive Ragu, Sticky Asian Aubergines with Coconut Rice and Curried Chickpeas, Chickpea Chilli with Guacamole or Sicilian Caponata with Rosemary Roasted New Potatoes.
Golden Chickpea and Aubergine Peanut Curry
A rich, creamy and vegetable packed curry to make you glow from the inside out. This vegan, gluten-free and deliciously healthy curry is packed with warming spices and flavours and comes together in 25 minutes.
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 thumb size piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 aubergine, cubed
- 300g fresh tomatoes, chopped
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 200ml coconut milk
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 3 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tin chickpeas
- 2 large handfuls spinach, chopped
- To serve:
- brown or basmati rice
- toasted peanuts
- chopped coriander or parsley
- coconut yoghurt
1. Heat a large non-stick frying pan and add a drizzle of olive oil. Fry off the onion and garlic for 5 minutes until softening before adding the ginger and aubergine cubes.
2. Add in the chopped tomatoes, turmeric, paprika, ground cumin and some salt and black pepper. Fry for 2 minutes until really fragrant.
3. Stir in the coconut milk, tomato puree and the peanut butter until smooth. Add in the chickpeas and simmer for 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
4. Now add in the spinach and allow to wilt for 5 minutes.
5. Serve the Golden Aubergine and Chickpea Peanut Curry with cooked rice, with a sprinkling of toasted peanuts, chopped fresh herbs and coconut yoghurt. Leftover curry will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days and in the freezer for a few months.
I look forward to hearing what you think of my Golden Chickpea and Aubergine Peanut Curry – please leave a comment below. I love to see your #nousighingamy creations, so be sure to tag me. I’m @nourishing.amy on Instagram and use the hashtag #nourishingamy. I’m also on Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest – please say hello!
With golden curry love x