Rich chocolate cups filled with delicious almond butter and fresh juicy cherries – what is not to love? These 4-ingredient, no-bake vegan and gluten-free treats are easy to make and are an impressive dessert.
Cherry season is here, and my Dad is only too happy as they are his favourite. And while I also love cherry season, I don’t love de-stoning them by hand… I really need to invest in a cherry de-stoner, I think! But that said when you’re not in a rush and your nails aren’t done, there is something therapeutic about the whole process. And after baking a few different cakes and bakes, I thought it was about time make a cherry recipe that required no-baking and could be made with very minimal ingredients. So, how about these 4-ingredient Chocolate Cherry Almond Butter Cups?
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Chocolate: essential for the chocolate cup element. I like to use dark chocolate for the indulgence and richness but use your favourite flavour.
- Coconut oil: this makes the chocolate casing extra shiny and silky and it helps them melt in your mouth!
- Almond butter: cherry and almond are such a classic combination and almond butter is a great addition to these chocolate cups. Some almond butter is runnier than others, and you want it to hold its shape. If yours is too runny, stir through some coconut flour until it thickens. Or use the runny kind and prepare for a messier experience when you eat them (that’s equally delicious!).
- Cherries: the star of the show. De-stone the cherries and slice them in half to fill the centre of the cups. I also like to top the cups with extra cherries for a pop of colour. Fresh cherries work best here and the more-in-season the better!
- Optional: as well as the cherries on top of these Chocolate Cherry Almond Butter Cups, I like to sprinkle on some cacao nibs for crunch. You could also add some seeds or desiccated coconut.
That’s all you need. Melt the chocolate, allow the bases to set, top with some almond butter, some cherry halves and pour over the remaining chocolate. Add on the cherries and allow to set. It is really that simple. Almost too simple to call this a full-blown recipe!
I hope you will enjoy these Chocolate Cherry Almond Butter Cups as much as we all did. They only need 4 ingredients, minimal fuss and effort and no baking required. They are naturally vegan, gluten-free and can be refined sugar-free based on your chocolate. They make an impressive after-dinner treat or snack any time of the day.
Chocolate Cherry Almond Butter Cups (Vegan GF)
- 200g dark chocolate
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 40g almond butter, smooth or crunchy*
- 6-12 cherries, halved and pitted
- Cacao nibs, optional
1. Break up the chocolate and add to a heat-proof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Add the coconut oil and gently warm until melted.
2. Using small or regular cupcake cases or silicone moulds, cover the bottom of the moulds with some chocolate (about 1 tsp for mini cups and 2-3 tsp for regular ones) and freeze for 10 minutes.
3. Top each chocolate base with some almond butter and a cherry half and cover with the remaining melted chocolate. Top each cup with 1-2 cherry halves and a sprinkling of cacao nibs, if using. Set in the fridge for 30 minutes until firm.
*if your almond butter is too runny, add 2-4 tsp coconut flour to thicken it and stir until smooth.
I look forward to hearing what you think of these Chocolate Cherry Almond Butter Cups so please let me know in the comments below. If you make these, please share with me on social media, too! I’m @nourishing.amy on Instagram and use the hashtag #nourishingamy. I’m also on Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest – please say hello!
With chocolate cherry love x
Recipe originally made in collaboration with Jerte Picota Cherries for Instagram but this post is not sponsored in any way.