Cinnamon spiced fluffy vegan pancakes with a ring of caramelised apple in the centre all topped with a quick caramel sauce. Serve these fluffy pancakes with some yoghurt, fruits and nuts for a tasty pancake day!
I am back with another pancake recipe, one of the four recipes made within the space of a few days. Each recipe holds a special place in my foodie heart and these ones are particularly delicious as a cinnamon-lover. They are naturally sweet and warmly spiced with the tastiest ring of apple that caramelises as it cooks through!
The base for these Vegan Caramel Apple Pancakes is so simple and you probably already have all the ingredients to hand:
- Plain flour: this keeps the pancakes really light and fluffy. To date, I have not tried these with a GF blend but I can imagine it would work as long as the mix has xantham gum in.
- Chia seeds: these bind the pancakes together and you could also use ground flaxseeds.
- Baking powder: for rise!
- Cinnamon: for the delicious cinnamon notes in the pancakes. This will also turn the batter a little darker in colour.
- Almond milk: or other plant-based milk.
- Maple syrup: or other sticky syrup to add to the texture and the taste of the batter.
- Oil: I make this recipe both with melted (and slightly cooled) coconut oil or sunflower oil and both work really well.
Whisk together the pancake batter until smooth and leave to rest for 5 minutes to allow the chia seeds to expand and bind the batter and thick it up. While the batter rests, slice the apple into rings and take out the centre core – I use a mini cookie cutter, but anything will work.
There are a couple of ways to make these Vegan Caramel Apple Pancakes and both work really well but it depends on how much you want the apple to show through:
- To show a lot of apple: place the apple ring on the greased warm frying pan and cook for a minute or so and then spoon over the batter, cook for a couple of minutes and then flip over the pancake.
- To hide more of the apple: place the batter onto the greased warm pan and then add the ring on top, adding a small amount of batter on top and then flipping over once cooked through.
It depends how much apple you want to show but both are delicious and will result in light and fluffy cinnamony apple pancakes. These pancakes are quite large, so you’ll only make 4, enough for 2 each and make sure you use a large spatula to flip them over!
These Vegan Caramel Apple Pancakes are perfect served with my homemade cheat’s caramel which is just warmed up almond butter with maple syrup and a pinch of salt. You will be drizzling this on everything.
I also like to serve these cinnamony apple pancakes with some thick coconut yoghurt, crushed flaked almonds and pomegranate and extra caramelised apple. However, they are really versatile so serve them alongside anything you like. These Vegan Caramel Apple Pancakes are deliciously sweet and cinnamon-y and are naturally vegan and easy to make for pancake day, weekend brunches and midweek breakfasts, too! You can freeze them once cool as well and then simply warm back up in the pan or grill to enjoy another day.
For more brunch recipe ideas, how about my:
- Vanilla Berry French Toast
- Peanut Butter Blueberry Chocolate Chip Courgette Baked Oats
- Cookies and Cream Baked Skillet Pancake
- Mini Oat Pancakes
- Triple Chocolate Brownie Baked Oats
Vegan Caramel Apple Pancakes (GF-Option)
Cinnamon spiced fluffy vegan pancakes with a ring of caramelised apple in the centre all topped with a quick caramel sauce. Serve these fluffy pancakes with some yoghurt, fruits and nuts for a tasty pancake day.
- 100g plain flour
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 180ml unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil or sunflower oil
- 1 apple Caramel Sauce:
- 50g almond butter, warmed
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- A pinch of salt Toppings:
- 2 tbsp vegan yoghurt, extra maple syrup, fresh pomegranate, 2 tbsp flaked almonds
- Make the pancake batter: add all the ingredients to a small bowl and whisk to a smooth batter. Leave to 5 minutes for rest.
- Slice the apple and cut out the core. Make the caramel sauce by warming the almond butter in the microwave for 10-20 seconds and stirring in the maple syrup and salt.
- Heat a little oil in a large frying pan and once hot, add 2 tbsp of the pancake batter and a slice of apple. Top with 1 tbsp more batter and cook for a couple of minutes over a medium-high heat until bubbling and golden. Flip using a large spatula and cook on the second side.
- Repeat to make 4 pancakes.
- Divide the pancakes between 2 plates, serve with some vegan yoghurt, pomegranate and flaked almonds. Drizzle over the caramel sauce.
I can’t wait to hear what you think of these tasty Vegan Caramel Apple Pancakes so please let me know in the comments below and tag me in your pancakes, I love seeing them! I’m @nourishing.amy on Instagram and use the hashtag #nourishingamy. I’m also on Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest – please say hello!
With caramel apple pancake love x