It’s Halloween which can only mean one thing: it’s time for some spook-tacular baking! I toyed around with a few ideas of what to bake, make or raw-bake to celebrate the ghoulish day and saw that a lot of recipes required many ingredients and often those which were very artificial. I didn’t want to use any food colourings or dyes so I had to reel it back and get back to nature.
That’s where spirulina comes in very handy.
The deep green super powder really is quite super. Naturally packed with 68% protein by weight, this powder is full of other vitamins and minerals like magnesium and iron. But be warned. A little goes a long way and it does have a strong flavour. So, be careful… otherwise these treats will definitely verge on the ‘tricky’ side. What an unpleasant surprise that would be!
I focused on developing something green and then I thought of mint. Which led me to chocolate (naturally). Which led me to peppermint creams. Which led me to create a natural, coconut-based peppermint-cream inspired green Halloween delight!
These Peppermint Green (S)Creams are easy to make, and the hidden green centre will shock your friends and family members, just what you need to celebrate the wicked night. A mix of desiccated coconut, coconut cream, coconut honey, peppermint extract and spirulina, these treats come together in one bowl. Simply roll together your dough into cookie shapes, freeze then smother in chocolate!
Peppermint Green (S)Creams
The perfect Halloween Treat! A coconutty peppermint cream enrobed with chocoalte.
- 100g desiccated coconut
- 30g coconut butter (or creamed coconut)
- 2 tbsp coconut honey
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- ½ tsp spirulina
- 90g chocolate
- 1 tbsp desiccated coconut
- Place the desiccated coconut in a food processor and whizz until it becomes very fine – a couple of minutes.
- Add the coconut butter, honey, peppermint and spirulina and blend until a sticky, green dough forms.
- Roll the dough into cookie shapes (or balls) with your hands, pressing down firmly so they are compact.
- Place onto a lined tray or plate and freeze for 10 minutes to set.
- Melt the chocolate and then dip or coat each cookie in the chocolate. Sprinkle over some desiccated coconut. Place back in the freezer or fridge to firm up and enjoy either cold or allow to reach room temperature. These Peppermint Green Screams will last up to 1 week in an airtight container and for a month or so in the freezer, sealed.
Let’s connect! Let me know if you make my Peppermint Green (S)Creams for Halloween – or for any other time of the year, for that matter. Leave your thoughts below and tag me in your creations – I’m @nourishing.amy on Instagram and use the hashtag #nourishingamy. I’m also on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest of you feel like being sociable.
Happy Halloween x