Falafel with hazelnuts and paprika! Yes, I am a big fan of falafel and cannot believe this is only my second recipe post – besides my Christmas themed Stuffing Falafel Balls. I am always looking for new and wonderful ways to enjoy the chickpea-based ball as the new recipes crop up every day it seems.
If you are a falafel fan like me, you have to try this version with its warming smoked paprika, crunchy hazelnut crumb. Plus, they are baked which means less washing up, no oil and lots of flavour.
I am very proud of the fact this recipe only requires 10 ingredients and about 30 minutes of your time but delivers on big flavour and satisfaction.
The base is the classic chickpea to which we add lots of flavour: garlic granules, smoked paprika, ground cumin, salt and black pepper and fresh parsley. The result is a richly coloured and falvoured falafel ball with fresh herby notes and a delicious smoky mixture. The added oats help to bind the dough into balls while the tahini adds the delicious creaminess.
The best part of this Hazelnut and Paprika Falafel is the hazelnut crumb which isn’t nearly as difficult as it sounds. I blitz up whole hazelnuts into a fine meal in my food processor and then each rolled falafel ball is coated in the crumbs to form a delicious and crunchy coating.
Serve these falafel as you would any other ball, with dips and spreads, crudités and flatbreads or as part of Buddha Bowls – my favourite way. I hope you’ll love them as much as I do, they are full of smoky flavour, tender on the inside, with a crispy nutty outside, easy to make, healthy and a real crowd-pleaser.
Hazelnut and Paprika Falafel
Flavour packed smoked paprika falafel with crunchy hazelnut crumb - deliciously vegan and gluten free, they only require 10 ingredients.
- 40g hazelnuts
- 1 tin chickpeas, drained
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 30g oats
- 5 stalks of parsley
- salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180Fan/200*C and line a baking tray or 2 smaller ones with baking parchment.
- Place the hazelnuts in a food processor and blitz until a fine meal is formed. Place in a shallow bowl.
- Add the chickpeas, garlic, cumin, paprika, tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, and oats to the food processor. Roughly remove the stalks from the parsley and add these to the chickpea mix and pulse until a uniform and crumbly mix is formed. Season to taste with salt and black pepper and check the falafel balls hold together when squeezed between your fingers.
- Using a large teaspoon measure, roll the falafel mixture into balls in your hands and then roll each one in the ground hazelnuts until evenly covered. Place onto the baking tray and continue to do so until all the mixture has been used.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, checking halfway through and flipping over. Serve with salads, hummus and flatbreads. Once cooled, these Hazelnut and Paprika Falafel will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days in an airtight container and will freeze well.
I look forward to hearing what you think of these Hazelnut and Paprika Falafel, so please do leave your comments below and tag me in your falafel creations. I’m @nourishing.amy on Instagram and use the hashtag #nourishingamy. I’m also on Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest – please say hello!
With falafel love x