I knew that Nourishing Amy was missing a very classic and popular brunch dish and this is it: waffles! I cannot believe that this is my very first waffle recipe on here and I can only apologise but I think this recipe makes up for it.
Thick, fluffy and light waffles laced with creamy tahini and desiccated coconut topped with tropical fruits, creamy coconut yoghurt, more delicious tahini and sticky syrup. Sounds too good to be true, but these single-serve waffles are easy to make, quick to deliver to the table and they are healthy, vegan, dairy-free and with gluten-free options.
These Tropical Tahini Waffles are a dreamy combination for a summer brunch thanks to the light and tropical fruits to decorate and the fine desiccated coconut within the batter. I am on a coconut and mango hype at the moment following this Mango and Coconut Overnight Oats so here’s another way to enjoy the same much-loved flavours.
The base of the waffle mix is an almond “buttermilk” made by curdling almond milk with vinegar (I use apple cider or white wine). To this curdled milk, I add some tahini for richness and then the dry ingredients. I have opted for half flour and half vanilla protein powder as I love the flavour and it adds a satiating boost, but feel free to use all flour instead. My go-to flour is spelt but you can use your favourite GF blend or others like plain white flour, brown rice and buckwheat – let me know how you get on with these.
Now onto the fun part: the toppings! To keep the tropical theme alive, I like to top my stack with lashings of creamy coconut yoghurt, a medley of tropical fruits (kiwi, persimmon and grapefruit), a sprinkling of desiccated coconut and a drizzling of tahini and sweet syrup.
These Tropical Tahini Waffles are rich and indulgent but light and fluffy at the same time. They are easy to make and provide a quick single-serve brunch or breakfast option that is very versatile. Serve with your favourite toppings and even increase the recipe to create a vegan, healthy and potentially gluten-free brunch spread for friends and family.
Tropical Tahini Waffles
Thick, fluffy and light vegan waffles laced with creamy tahini and desiccated coconut topped with tropical fruits, creamy coconut yoghurt, more delicious tahini and sticky syrup.
- 120ml almond milk
- 1/2 tbsp vinegar (e.g. apple cider or white wine)
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 30g spelt flour
- 25g vanilla protein
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 10g desiccated coconut
- Coconut oil, for greasing
- Toppings: coconut yoghurt, kiwi, persimmon, grapefruit, desiccated coconut, tahini, syrup
1. Stir together the almond milk and vinegar and allow to “curdle” for 5 minutes. Now stir in the tahini until smooth.
2. Mix together the dry ingredients and add in the wet mixture and stir together. Leave for 5 minutes to thicken while you heat up the waffle iron.
3. Once the waffle iron is hot, grease well with melted coconut oil and place a 2 tbsp measure of batter per waffle and allow to cook until your level of doneness. Repeat until all the batter has been used.
4. Serve topped with coconut yoghurt, fresh fruit, some desiccated coconut, a drizzle of tahini and of syrup.
I hope you’ll love these Tropical Tahini Waffles, I can’t wait to hear what you think so please leave a comment below and tag me in your creations. I’m @nourishing.amy on Instagram and use the hashtag #nourishingamy. I’m also on Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest – please say hello!
With waffles of love x