A rich and fudgy chocolate mug cake that comes together in less than 3 minutes. This indulgent treat is vegan, gluten-free, refined-sugar-free and packed with chocolate. It is perfect for a quick dessert or snack with some ice cream, fruit and more chocolate.
It’s about time that I had a super quick and easy recipe on here that you can whip up in less than 2 minutes – you read that correctly. I hadn’t yet played around with mug cakes because I always thought they had to use lots of heavy, oily ingredients and tons of sugar for their size, but actually, I was wrong. I really enjoyed playing around with this Vegan Chocolate Mug Cake and the results are delicious.
Simply add the 7 ingredients to a small bowl, give it a stir and pop into the microwave and that’s all there is to it. This recipe is also pretty fail-proof – I would not say there is much skill to the recipe at all! The basics are:
– Cocoa or cacao power
– Buckwheat or oats – ground into a flour (or you can use plain white or spelt flour, too if you prefer)
– A pinch of baking powder
– Some melted coconut or vegetable oil
– A little plant-based milk
– Extra chocolate!!
This Vegan Chocolate Mug Cake is the chocoholics dream and is really easy. It is rich and indulgent yet light and healthy. Make it for you any time of day, although I really like to enjoy one in the evening when you’re cosy on the sofa.
This rich and fudgy Vegan Chocolate Mug Cake is easy to make and even easier to demolish. I hope you’ll love it and I am excited to play around with more flavour combinations soon. Serve it up with some vegan ice cream or cream, extra chocolate and some fresh fruit for a deliciously decadent dessert.
If you are looking for more chocolate desserts, how about my Double Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Coconut Whip, Chocolate Goldenberry Fruit and Nut Bars or Peanut Butter Chocolate Protein Flapjack.
Vegan Chocolate Mug Cake
A rich and fudgy chocolate mug cake that comes together in less than 3 minutes. This indulgent treat is vegan, gluten-free, refined-sugar free and packed with chocolate.
- 1 ½ tbsp cocoa or cacao powder*
- 3 tbsp (40g) buckwheat or oats, ground into flour (or white/spelt flour)
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp melted coconut oil or vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp plant-based milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 squares dark chocolate, chopped
- To serve: ice cream, raspberries, extra chocolate
1. Grease a small ramekin or mug if you want to be to transfer the cake to a plate – skip this step to eat it straight from the mug.
2. Stir together the cocoa powder, ground buckwheat or oats, baking powder, melted coconut oil, plant-based milk and vanilla extract. Stir together until sticky and fold through the chopped chocolate.
3. Pour into the ramekin or mug and microwave for 30-40 seconds. Serve with toppings as desired.
*I first made this recipe for Divine Chocolate and used their winter spiced cocoa powder which tasted amazing, but ordinary cocoa or cacao powder will work.
I look forward to hearing what you think of this Vegan Chocolate Mug Cake – it is so easy that you can make it at any time of the day. If you do make it, tag me on social media and let me know below. I’m @nourishing.amy on Instagram and use the hashtag #nourishingamy. I’m also on Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest – please say hello!
This recipe was originally made for Divine Chocolate although this post is not sponsored and all opinions are my own.