A quick and easy throw-together vegetable and protein-packed dinner full of flavour. It is vibrant, healthy and delicious with simple ingredients and a creamy miso tahini dressing.
This is my favourite kind of food: a few vegetables cooked in some flavour, served with a simple grain, some protein in there, avocado (of course) and a delicious dressing. It is fast, easy and always surprises you – in a good way. There are so many wonderful combinations, flavours, colours and textures you can play around with. This Miso Tahini Greens Stir Fry is a new favourite!
The base I’ve used is tri-colour quinoa, but you can use any grain like rice, buckwheat, bulgar wheat or even noodles would be great. I’ve kept a green theme on the vegetables because they are my favourite and also for the aesthetics of course but play around with what you have. I’ve used spring onion (or onion) and garlic first before adding in chestnut mushrooms, some courgette and broccoli. Fry off the veggies while the grain cooks along nicely and add in the crumbled tempeh. I am hooked on tempeh right now; I love the texture and how it absorbs any flavour you put it with. I’ve kept it simple with tamari soy sauce for a rich umami flavour to the pan.
The final part of this Miso Tahini Greens Stir Fry is the miso tahini dressing – liquid gold! Just stir together some tahini, miso paste (or more tamari soy sauce), lemon juice and water. It is so simple but so tasty. You will be pouring it over all your salads, soon.
Finish off the bowl with sliced avocado, fresh herbs, some seeds and chilli flakes and that’s all there is to it. A healthy, vibrant, flavour-packed and highly versatile dinner or lunch bowl ready in under 20 minutes.
I hope you will love this nourishing bowl, it is naturally gluten-free, vegan, nut-free and packed with vegetables, protein and carbohydrates. Finished with a creamy dressing and some crunchy seeds, there’s a great balance of textures and flavours that also makes for great leftovers. Double this recipe and save a couple of portions for lunch the next day, too.
If you are looking for more easy savoury meals, how about my Simple Red Pepper and Spinach Dahl, Sweet Potato Gnocchi, Mediterranean Butterbean and Carrots with Potato Wedges or Green Shakshuka with GF Flatbreads.
Miso Tahini Greens Stir Fry
A quick and easy throw-together vegetable and protein packed dinner full of flavour. It is vibrant, healthy and delicious with simple ingredients and a creamy miso tahini dressing.
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 8 chestnut mushrooms, halved or whole if small
- 1 courgette, in ¼ moons
- 160g broccoli, stalks and florets
- 250g tempeh, crumbled (or beans, cubed tofu etc)
- 2 tbsp tamari soy sauce
- Miso Tahini:
- 4 tbsp tahini
- 1 tsp miso paste (or 1 tbsp tamari soy sauce)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Water, to thin
- Salt and pepper
- To serve: 1 avocado, fresh chives or coriander, sesame seeds, chilli flakes, cooked quinoa or rice
1. Cook your grain according to packet instructions.
2. Add a drizzle of olive oil to a frying pan and once hot, add the onion and garlic. Fry for 5 minutes then add in the mushroom and courgette. Fry for another 5 minutes.
3. Add the crumbled tempeh (or tofu/beans/chickpeas) and the tamari soy sauce and cook over a high heat for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper
4. Meanwhile make the miso tahini dressing by stirring together all the ingredients, adding 1-2 tbsp water to start until creamy. Add more water as needed for a runnier sauce and season to taste.
5. Divide the grain between two bowls, top with the fried vegetables and tempeh and drizzle over the dressing. Serve with avocado, fresh herbs, sesame seeds and chilli flakes.
I look forward to hearing what you think of this Miso Tahini Greens Stir Fry, let me know what you think below. If you make it, remember to tag me in your posts, I’m @nourishing.amy on Instagram and use the hashtag #nourishingamy. I’m also on Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest – please say hello!
With stir fry love x