While I’ve been busy dreaming up new smoothie bowl combinations, I realised I hadn’t shared one of my everyday breakfasts.
It’s a fuss-free smoothie bowl that I love for so many reasons:
- Berries – because they are my life. I have them every day! Buying the frozen variety makes them much cheaper (so I can eat more) and you can use a fresh banana instead.
- Refreshing – this smoothie bowl is so refreshing thanks to the berries and the milk. Plus, it tastes like summer.
- Coconut – for any morning (or at any time of the day) I want to be transported to a tropical island, the blend of creamy coconut yoghurt and cooling coconut milk really does the trick.
- Beetroot powder – I recently purchased some of this beet-i-ful powder and am in love with the vibrant pink colour it lends to all my bowls. It works wonders here and makes for the prettiest of colours.
- Toppings – what makes a smoothie bowl better than a smoothie? It has to be the toppings, so pile this one high with all your favourites. I find that this Forest Fruit Berry and Coconut Smoothie Bowl lends itself to such a range of toppings; from granola (My Everything Granola) and nut butter to cacao nibs and maple syrup, you totally have free reign to make this bowl your own.
Forest Fruit Berry and Coconut Smoothie Bowl
1 large ripe banana
160g frozen forest fruit berries
100-150ml coconut milk, from the carton
1 tsp desiccated coconut
¼ tsp beetroot powder
¼ tsp cinnamon
100g coconut yoghurt
1 tbsp flaxseed (I like a mixed berry flaxseed mix)
1 tbsp unflavoured plant-based protein, optional
Topping suggestions: berries, desiccated coconut, flaxseed, granola, nut butter
Place all the ingredients in a blender and whizz to combine. Add more or less milk to make a thinner or thicker smoothie – less milk will result in a thick smoothie bowl but your food processor may struggle. Add more milk to make a drinkable smoothie.
Serve straight away in a bowl and top with desired toppings. Here, I have used strawberries, desiccated coconut, flaxseed and hazelnut and berry nut butter.
What are your favourite morning smoothie combinations? What do you think of my Forest Fruit Berry and Coconut Smoothie Bowl? I would love to see your morning creations, please tag me on Instagram – I’m @nourishing.amy and use the hashtag #nourishingamy, or let me know in the comments below.