Soup season is officially here. Those days when all you crave for lunch is a bowl of soup to warm you through and the dark comes around all too quickly. Instead on focusing on the negatives, there are many things to celebrate that come with the cooler seasons. Those bright blue skies, fresh crisp air and the cosy vibes of wrapping up in your favourite scarf and gloves.
I am one for layers and getting ready to go outdoors in the winter takes me a while of preparation. I don’t even dare to go outside without my gloves on as I get such cold hands. My poor circulation really does become an issue when my fingers start turning blue and coming back inside makes them throb with pain… so I do try my hardest to prevent the chill from spreading. I know you’re not supposed to warm up too quickly so I restrain myself from running my white-blue fingers under hot water and wrap them around a cup of soup instead.
I love eating soup like this, the “hug in a mug” feeling is next to none. This Rosemary Roasted Butternut Squash and Hemp Soup is certainly one that offers this sensation thanks to the thick and creamy texture. It’s so simple: roast the butternut squash until tender along with some garlic cloves, fry off some onion and blend it all together with some unsweetened milk for a delicious, nutritious and hearty soup. I’ve used unsweetened hemp milk for this recipe as I love the subtle flavour but feel free to use your favourite variety. Coconut would be great although you’d be able to taste the coconut. Sprinkle over some hemp seeds for crunch, coconut yoghurt for a welcome texture contrast and some black pepper.
This soup recipe will see you well into the heart of winter and out the other side. Make up extra portions to freeze for the weeks ahead.
Rosemary Roasted Butternut Squash and Hemp Soup
A super simple and hearty soup recipe perfect for the colder weather filled with roasted butternut squash and rosemary.
- 2 medium butternut squash
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 4 fat garlic cloves
- Hemp seed oil
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 white onion, small dice
- 1 tsp stock powder or cube
- 500-600ml unsweetened hemp milk
- To serve:
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds, coconut yoghurt, black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180Fan/200*C and line 2 baking trays with parchment paper.
- Slice the butternut squash in half lengthways and place face up on the baking trays. Drizzle over a generous amount of hemp seed oil, the rosemary and salt and pepper and rub into the squash with your hands. Wrap the garlic cloves in tinfoil and add to the tray. Roast in the oven for about one hour.
- Once the squash is cool enough to handle, scoop out the seeds and discard them. Scoop the flesh into a large mixing bowl (if using a handheld blender) or a food blender. Include the rosemary leaves, too, and squeeze out the garlic from the cloves.
- Meanwhile, heat a large drizzle of olive oil and fry the onion for about 10 minutes with a pinch of salt and black pepper until soft and starting to caramelise. Add the onion to the squash.
- Add the smaller amount of milk to start with as well as the stock and puree the soup until smooth. Season to taste with salt and black pepper and add more milk as necessary for a good soup consistency, I like mine quite thick.
- When ready to serve, warm back through on the hob, ladle into 4 bowls and top with a dollop of coconut yoghurt, some black pepper and the hemp seeds. Enjoy straight away.
Have you made my Rosemary Roasted Butternut Squash and Hemp Soup recipe? I would love to hear what you think of this and how it warms you up on a cool and crisp day. Leave your thoughts below and tag me in our creations – I’m @nourishing.amy on Instagram and use the hashtag #nourishingamy.
With soup-y love x