Soup season is here and this creamy red lentil soup with carrots and parsnips is a real winter warmer. Spiced with cumin, turmeric and nutmeg with lots of fresh ginger and garlic, it is a crowd-pleasing soup that is vegan and gluten-free.
I love soup season – any excuse to curl up with a warming bowl of comfort food. This recipe is one I have been making on repeat for the past couple of months and after sharing quick photos and videos on my social media, I thought it about time to share a full recipe to keep you cosy and warm this festive season.
This Creamy Spiced Red Lentil and Carrot Soup is a simple soup, made in one pot and then whizzed to a creamy consistency. The base is onion, garlic and fresh ginger and then come the lovely spices: cumin, ground turmeric for the golden colour and ground nutmeg which is my new favourite this winter. Allow the spices and herbs to fill the kitchen with wonderful aromas before adding in the carrot, parsnip and red lentils. I love adding beans and pulses to my soups for a thicker and creamier consistency as well as adding some fibre and plant-based protein. Allow the soup to simmer with a mixture of water and almond milk (or other plant milk should be fine) and then blend to a puree. Add more water as needed at the end for a thinner soup.
Serve this Creamy Spiced Red Lentil and Carrot Soup topped with cooling coconut yoghurt, some fresh herbs, toasted croutons and chilli flakes for a quick and easy lunch or light dinner. I love to enjoy this soup with a side of avocado on toast or even with a light salad like my Rainbow Quinoa Salad.
This Creamy Spiced Red Lentil and Carrot Soup is hearty, comforting and cosy, deliciously rich and creamy while being light and healthy. It is naturally gluten-free, vegan and it can be nut-free if you use a nut-free milk alternative. Make up big batches of this soup to feed friends and family or to enjoy throughout the week. It is so wonderful bought to work in a flask! A hug in a bowl for sure.
Creamy Spiced Red Lentil and Carrot Soup
Soup season is here and this creamy red lentil soup with carrots and parsnips is a real winter warmer. Spiced with cumin, turmeric and nutmeg with lots of fresh ginger and garlic, it is a crowd pleasing soup that is vegan and gluten-free.
- Olive oil
- 1 onion, small dice
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1-inch ginger, peeled and grated
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ¼ – ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 parsnip, peeled and chopped
- 70g red lentils
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- 300ml water
- 300ml almond milk
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 tbsp coconut yoghurt
- To serve: toasted croutons, toast, red chilli flakes, fresh herbs
1. Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a saucepan and fry the onion and garlic for 5-10 minutes until softening. Add in the ginger, cumin, turmeric and nutmeg. Fry for 1 minute or so until really fragrant.
2. Add in the chopped carrot, parsnips and red lentils and stir to coat. Pour in the miso paste, water, almond milk, salt and black pepper.
3. Bring to the boil and allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes until the lentils are soft.
4. Transfer the soup to a bowl or blender and puree by hand or with the machine until smooth. Add in more milk or water as necessary to make a thinner consistency.
5. Serve warm with a swirl of coconut yoghurt, toasted croutons, red chilli flakes and fresh herbs.
I hope you will enjoy this Creamy Spiced Red Lentil and Carrot Soup and it will keep you warm this winter. Let me know what you think below and tag me in your creations – I’m @nourishing.amy on Instagram and use the hashtag #nourishingamy. I’m also on Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest – please say hello!