I have wanted to share this recipe for an awfully long time, as you may know from my social media, I eat scrambled tofu on toast A LOT. At least once a week. It’s my go-to option when I want something filling, quick and ticks all the nutritional boxes. From a weekend brunch to a speedy mid-week lunch or dinner, this Smoked Paprika Scrambled Tofu on Toast is my favourite way to nourish my body at the moment, and it works wonders all year round.
This is a very close resemblance to a veggie packed and flavourful scrambled egg as the smashed tofu takes on a wonderful consistency and absorbs all the cooking flavours. You can mash it very finely with a fork for a smoother scramble or leave it chunky like I’ve done here. Both options taste great and have that classic ‘eggy’ vibe. I won’t lie to you, tofu is not egg and never will be, but if you add a sprinkle of black sea salt you achieve a frightfully similar eggy flavour and smell to the dish. Use this salt sparingly as it is rather potent, although you can equally leave it out and the scramble still tastes great.
To give my tofu more oomph I add some ground turmeric for the yellow tinge and the healing properties that it brings when paired with some black pepper, as well as some smoked paprika for a comforting southwestern style flavour. Add some mixed herbs and garlic powder and you’ve got a quick and tasty flavour blend, brought together with some tamari soy sauce for a real depth of flavour. The optional but highly recommended extra is the nutritional yeast – I love the slightly cheesy tang it lends.
This wouldn’t be a true Nourishing Amy style meal without some vegetables, so I’ve added courgette moons, red pepper strips and baby spinach leaves to my scramble but you can use whatever vegetables you like – sliced mushrooms, kale, diced carrot, celery, red onion, squash, sweet potato… the list in endless.
This is the perfect meal if you only have 20 minutes to spend on food as it all comes together in one pan (2 if you grill the tomatoes, too). Simply fry the vegetables, add the tofu and pile high onto some toast. I also love to serve mine with kimchi hot sauce, tomato salsa and a sprinkling of nuts.
I hope you’ll love this vegan ‘scrambled eggs’ on toast; it’s healthy, light, protein-packed, full of flavour, loaded with vegetables and so delicious.
Smoked Paprika Scrambled Tofu on Toast
Enjoy this scrambled tofu on toast for a speedy and filling vegan breakfast or serve it up for friends over a lazy brunch – packed with flavour, vegetables and colour.
- 1 block extra-firm tofu (about 250-300g)
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- ½ tsp garlic granules
- ½ – 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp tamari soy sauce
- pinch Black Sea salt
- 2-3 tbsp nutritional yeast, optional
- black pepper
- olive oil
- 1 red pepper, in strips
- 1 courgette, in ¼ moons
- 2 large handfuls spinach
- 2-4 slices of toast
- 16 cherry tomatoes, optional
- 2 tbsp mixed nuts and seeds
- kimchi hot sauce and/or tomato salsa
- Lightly smash the tofu in a small bowl with a fork and then add the turmeric, mixed herbs, garlic granules, smoked paprika, tamari soy sauce, Black Sea salt, nutritional yeast (if using) and black pepper. Smash again with a fork to bring the mix together, leaving the tofu chunky or smooth.
- Heat the grill to high and place your tomatoes underneath and grill for about 7-10 minutes until blistered.
- Heat a drizzle of olive in a large saucepan and fry off the pepper and courgette until soft and cooked through. Now add the spinach and allow to wilt for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the scrambled tofu mixture to the pan and sauté for a few minutes, stirring constantly, until slightly browned.
- Serve warm piled on top of your toast with the blistered cherry tomatoes and any sauces you desire.
I can’t wait to hear what you think of my Smoked Paprika Scrambled Tofu on Toast and I hope it will feature as part of your Veganuary brunch options and thereafter! Let me know if you make it by tagging me in your plates – I’m @nourishing.amy on Instagram and use the hashtag #nourishingamy. You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest – do say hi!
With scrambled tofu love x