Light and fluffy homemade flatbreads topped with crunchy paprika chickpeas, juicy roasted vegetables, crispy kale chips and lashings of creamy hummus. The ultimate finger food that is as comforting as it is fresh, healthy and vibrant.
“This is my favourite kind of meal” are the exact words I said as I finished my last mouthful of this meal last week. It’s a dish I make quite often in various forms – I am always roasting vegetables and burst juicy tomatoes are a personal favourite of mine, as well as the crunchy chickpeas which I love thanks to my new trick and then there’s the hummus. What more can you say? I also regularly make my Easy Fluffy Flatbread, but I experimented with an even easer recipe this time round – it really is fail-proof with only 5 ingredients.
While everything roasts in the oven for 30 minutes, the flatbread come together from start to finish. All that is needed is flour, baking powder, salt, water and oil. That’s it! Stir together and leave to rest for a short while before rolling out and frying off, allowing to puff up slightly and char beautifully. I love to use spelt flour, but you could use your favourite variety here and I think the finishing touch really is to use a griddle pan for those lovely seared griddle lines, but you can use an ordinary frying pan.
The vegetables I’ve used below are suggestions, but I highly recommend the tomatoes. After 30 minutes in the oven, cherry tomatoes burst into juicy and sticky morsels that are sweet and tangy – oh-so irresistible. Add the kale in for the final 10 minutes for perfectly crispy kale crisps that even the most adamant of kale-haters will enjoy. Meanwhile, the chickpeas are the crunchiest ones I’ve made to date and my secret is to toss them in a little arrowroot powder (or cornstarch) and warming Moroccan spices. The powder soaks up any excess moisture and creates a crumb on the outside.
Serve these Crunchy Chickpea, Kale Crisp and Burst Tomato Flatbreads any which way you like. If you are serving to guests, increase the recipe and serve this mezze style so people can make their own flatbreads or pile each one high with toppings for tasty finger food at BBQs and as side dishes.
This Crunchy Chickpea, Kale Crisp and Burst Tomato Flatbreads is a simple, hearty and wholesome dish that comes together in 30 minutes. It is packed with vegetables, plant-protein and deliciously creamy hummus for a Moroccan style fusion dish that is packed with flavour, texture and colour.
If you are looking for some hummus inspiration, check out my recipe for Edamame and Artichoke Hummus or Smoked Red Pepper and Walnut Hummus or Smoky Baba Ganoush and try out my recipe for dukkha to sprinkle over the flatbreads.
Crunchy Chickpea, Kale Crisp and Burst Tomato Flatbreads
Light and fluffy homemade flatbreads topped with crunchy paprika chickpeas, juicy roasted vegetables, crispy kale crisps and lashings of creamy hummus.
- 1 pepper, thinly sliced
- 16 cherry tomatoes
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1/2 beetroot, scrubbed and chopped
- 50g kale, torn and de-stemmed
- Olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
- Crunchy Chickpeas:
- 1 tin chickpeas, drained
- 2 tsp arrowroot powder or corn starch
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 100g spelt flour, plus extra for kneading and rolling
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 80ml lukewarm water
- 2 tsp olive or avocado oil, plus extra for frying
- Pinch salt
- To serve: 100g hummus, chilli flakes, fresh coriander, dukkah
1. Preheat the oven to 180Fan/200*C and line 2 baking trays with parchment paper.
2. Toss the pepper, tomatoes and red onion with a little olive oil, season with salt and black pepper and roast for 30 minutes, adding the kale for the last 10 minutes with a little more oil. On the second tray toss the chickpeas with the arrowroot powder, smoked paprika, cumin, some salt and pepper and roast for 30 minutes, stirring through after 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile prepare the flatbreads. Stir together the flour, baking powder and salt and then add in the water and oil. Bring the dough together with a spoon and then knead for 2 minutes with your hands on a floured work surface. Place back into the bowl to rest for 15 minutes.
4. Divide the dough into 2 or 4 pieces (depending on your preferred size) and roll fairly thinly into rounds on a floured surface. Heat a griddle or frying pan with a little oil and fry each flatbread in turn until it puffs up and the surface begins to char, flip over and cook for a couple of minutes on the second side. Repeat to fry all the flatbreads.
5. To serve, smear each flatbread with hummus, top with the roasted vegetables, crunchy chickpeas and some chilli flakes, fresh coriander and dukkah.
I hope you’ll love these Crunchy Chickpea, Kale Crisp and Burst Tomato Flatbreads as much as I do, I can’t wait to see your creations. Please tag me and leave your comments below –I’m @nourishing.amy on Instagram and use the hashtag #nourishingamy. I’m also on Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest – please say hello!
With flatbread love x